Thursday, December 6, 2012

Poem #1


Fairy-tale Logic
By A.E Stallings

Fairy tales are full of impossible tasks:
Gather the chin hairs of a man-eating goat,
Or cross a sulphuric lake in a leaky boat,
Select the prince from a row of identical masks,
Tiptoe up to a dragon where it basks
And snatch its bone; count dust specks, mote by mote,
Or learn the phone directory by rote.
Always it’s impossible what someone asks—

You have to fight magic with magic. You have to believe
That you have something impossible up your sleeve,
The language of snakes, perhaps, an invisible cloak,
An army of ants at your beck, or a lethal joke,
The will to do whatever must be done:
Marry a monster. Hand over your firstborn son.


I liked this poem, fist of all the title catch my attention “Fairy-tale Logic”. I started reading it and I thought it was interesting I read it for a second time.  I liked it because it was talking about how we see movies on where the main character face impossible things. “Tiptoe up to a dragon where it basks”.  The first lines makes me think how many times I wish I was on a fairytale.

She talks in a sarcastic funny way. At the end of the poem, the meaning of this poem clicked. “You have to believe on yourself and try your best. Figure out how to live in a way it makes you happy. I think that as a teenager almost going to collage, this poem is really adequate. “Marry a monster. Hand over your firstborn son.” Life is all about challenges and facing different things. You need to be strong and face them

No comments:

Post a Comment